Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Remains of the Day...

There is no actual skin in this HNT. This is a half-naked last glimpse of the 'cleaning up' after the passing of my Mother's husband. He spend most of his time either in his office or in his garage...

~

Obligation.

Responsibility.

Is it conformity when ones perceptions of these words change into satisfaction and peace of mind? I was always thinking that reaching for the stars meant no compromise, and for lack of a better phrasing, 'balls to the walls' gusto. There is also the mind set I had that having to do something always meant I would resent it.

The little rebel in me hasn't had her last hurrah, to be sure, she'll always be there. I just find a sort of gratification in a job well done when helping my Mother through this. All at once, I feel as if I am duty-bound yet completely cheerful about it all. Please don't misunderstand, the situation is nothing to feel joy over, but rather taking the burden does not lend me towards feeling put upon in any way shape or form. I don't believe in selflessness either though, because any satisfaction I derive or good feeling in helping completely ruins any sort of sanctimonious moments I could have. I'm not pious nor am I selfless.

So, here is my HNT this week. A sort of 'before and after' of the sorting of grief.















What you can't see, and will have to imagine, is that this 'before' photo, is actually a lot cleaner than when I started - and the two cabinets where completely packed, along with another wall of shelving with just crap. This doesn't even cover the storage unit, or the garage - which I am also including a picture of what I'm going to start tackling tomorrow. Speaking of which, do you know anyone in the Cleveland area who is interested in purchasing a drill press??

Presenting - the task for tomorrow...





















Happy HNT Everyone!

9 comments:

Blissfully Wed said...

Beautifully written piece. I've got some curious "satisfaction" and "peace of mind" here as well.

My best to everyone dealing with this loss.

HHNT!

Shibari said...

HHNT... thank you for sharing...I am thinking aobut you :) hope things get better luv... ;)

Parabolist said...

I would say: No, that's not conformity. Conformity is having responsibility and obligation but NOT enjoying a job well done, not taking pride in it, and/or just whining about everything.

Let's face it...we're a pretty whiny society. All criticism of our culture/society aside, your inner rebel is rebelling in a way--rebelling against death and against sorrow. Your inner rebel is, furthermore, encouraging your mom to keep going--life keeps going, always.

So, she's there...and not just buried inside you.

Right...so...before I write a novel, HHNT! Glad to know its all going well.

Cosima said...

I am very, very sorry to hear...

When my grandma died it was very therapeutic to go through her stuff, because in all her belongings was a little piece of her, and we could remember her.

Anonymous said...

HHNT, hope things get easier & better...

tkkerouac said...

All the very best, and you are a great person!Not an easy time.
thanks for sharing.

Snow White said...

Good luck. I know it's not easy or fun. Hugs and Happy HNT!

Sunshine said...

I can't imagine how emotional such a "mundane" task of cleaning probably was for you and your mother...you're a good girl for being there for her.

Lapis Ruber said...

Sorry for your loss. You have a big job on hand, good luck. HHNT