Next Tuesday is the first day of school. The kids are very excited.
I am not excited about Kindergarten. I went to orientation, and realized, there won't really be a point to sending my daughter to Kindergarten. I had though that it was supposed to be a social event, but when I realized it would just be play time for 3 hours a day, less than actually, I started to get angry.
She reads, writes, can do math, count by 10's, knows everything almost through the first grade curriculum. She's social with other little girls, but they're all older than her too. So I spoke to the Vice Principal, who said to me, knowing my son, that he understood my concerns and thought we should look at the options and testing within the first few weeks of school.
There are many schools of thought on this. Every kid needs social skills. If my kid is bored, I'm afraid of the behavior, or thinking that she/he doesn't have to try and stops excelling simply because its too easy. We accepted this as a problem for our son, who we knew needed to stay with his peers as his emotional maturity would need to catch up with his brain.
Now, we're going to have to decide, should the assessments prove what the pediatrician observed, if we let her skip Kindergarten. This would also mean, she would graduate when she is 16, almost 17. As it is, if she stays at her level, she will graduate when she is 17 almost 18.
So what does the peanut gallery think of this 'advancement' option as opposed to what we did with my son, which was just advanced programs and let him do 'alternate' work within his class - which led to a few problems - but over all was best for him.
12 comments:
I think that it's great that you are advocating for your gifted children. Many parents don't see this as a special need, but it is. I also thinks it's outstanding that your principal is willing to work with you on this. At the school where my children attend -- a public school -- the kids are identified as gifted as early as kindergarten as well and there is a specialized program for kids who meet certain criteria. Hubbetron and I struggled with whether or not to send our five-year-old to kindergarten this year because she just turned five this summer. We wondered if she was ready. She's been in school now for three weeks and we know we made the right decision. I realize this is different, because we were actually thinking the opposite of what you are thinking with your daughter -- but I do what it's like to second-guess yourself and struggle with a decision that will set the tone for your child's educational career. I think you -- as cliched as it sounds -- need to go with your gut. You know that you can supplement and enrich your child's education at home, but High Ability Education IS special education, so the school should also be making accommodations as well. If your child had a learning disability they would, so they should do the same. Are there any Montessori schools in your area? I believe Montessori programs are perfect for kids with high ability because the teacher takes the child's lead and follows her interests. It doesn't work for everyone, but high ability learners can soar in the right program. There is one school district in my area (at least one that I know of) that offers free public Montessori schooling. Then, of course, there's the private route too -- but I know that's tough unless you're loaded or qualify for scholarships.
I don't think I really told you anything you didn't already know, but I definitely gave you my 50 cents.
And, I definitely need to proofread my comments a little better next time. Sheeeeesh.
-J
i say go with your gut. my daughter was advanced and i prolly didn't advocate enough for her and by the end of 8th grade she was bored out of her mind and we all know where THAT landed her (drug addiction)...my son i thought needed to stay OUT of school an extra year (he's a young-cut-off kid) but he's physically big so people expect maturity from him. But academically it's been frustrating for him AND i wish i'd known B4 i made the choice, that something like 90% of TEACHERS wiht children and the choice to hold back or enroll, DO redshirt their boys.
O, did i mention that i've recently been named as master of self-flagellation?
Zoelly -- All mothers are queens of guilt. Know that you did the best you could with what you had. That's all we can do. Everyone second-guesses themselves -- especially mommies.
-J
"Three hours of playtime" is an apt description of kindergarten. They don't teach in kindergatren, and I doubt that the ever have - I think the main purpose of kindergarten is to teach kids to get along with others and identify the ones who won't go along with the program. Honestly, your daughter is going to be bored in first grade, too. The question about advancing her a grade is one of how she'll feel about always being the youngest in her class - I doubt if she'd gain that much academically. I hate to say this, concerned as I am over the state of public schooling in this country, but if these are major concerns for you I'd seriously be thinking about scraping up the money for private schools.
I went to a private school for Senior High ( in eastern Canada ) and have my reservations about the effects of living away from home at that age. I don't remember the experience with any fondness and tend to think it turned me off the idea of university.
Age relative to other students was an issue I avoided by staying with my peer group and hitting the library ( this was before 'gifted students' programs ). I'm not so sure now it wouldn't have been as well to take one year less for school.
One point is that people do not develop evenly. Social skills are always problematic for brighter kids who other people find hard to understand.
Resentment at being 'pushed' was a problem for me : but I was #1 kid and dad impatient and leery of being too easily satisfied. I was consulted about taking a year off my educational term and do think that was a good decision.
Tammy is bright as can be and can give you a grandmother's take on this problem from the far side - girl style.
http://bluegirlredmissouri.blogspot.com/
I graduated high school at 16, college at 20, so I was always younger...however, most people tend to forget about the age difference, and see me for who I am. I've never regretted any of the decisions I've made (or my parents made) in regards to be being younger, because I was always interested in school, and given work at my level.
I don't know your daughter, but it sounds like (from your writing) that she'd do just fine by entering 1st grade.
i think she'll be great! let her wings take her! =^>.^=
I have the same concerns about my daughter. She's reading, writing, doing basic math, shapes and colors are for two year olds. I'm worried she'll be bored. I'm worried she'll be ignored. She can do a lot of first grade work because I've worked with her a lot at home. She loves to learn and that's the key. She's nearly 6 and they wouldn't let her in last year. Said they had enough of parents saying they "home schooled" their kindergarteners and sending kids who didn't know the alphabet to 1st grade.
I'm glad she's ahead of her class and I'm happy she's going to be the tallest, smartest, most confident one. I was about a year younger than my classmates, and brighter, and I got in lots of trouble. Boredom breeds trouble.
She has all day kindergarten and I think it's more academic than playing for 3 hrs. Though I'm sure she already knows most of what they'll teach her.
My plan is to see how she adjusts and have a teacher conference in a few weeks. We're also putting some focus into sports and music extra-curricular activities to keep academic boredom at bay.
I noticed on the first day of school when she brought home the alphabet that her handwriting and following stricter instructions could use some work and kindergarten will be good for that. At home she can write her ABCs however she wants, but school teachers require certain guidelines.
Give it a few months and see how she adjusts. You can always give her extra work at home, sign her up for sports, sign her up for music lessons and other extr-curricular activities. It's hard to be younger than everyone else and it's hard to be the social "other." You might look into a magnet school though - that's a good option if there is one in your area - a school where everyone is gifted.
I would think that its about maturity, just like it was for J. If E is mature enough to go to first grade and they will let her, then send on! Otherwise I'm with whoever it was who mentioned Montessori schools. They are expensive but worth it for a smarty pants kid! :-)
Does your school offer MAP or combined classes? That's very trendy here. They take the more advanced 1st graders and place them in class with the 2nd graders that need some review. Same with grades 2-3. Then the kids who want to move faster have the opportunity to do so.
But like the other readers said, go with your gut! You know what's best for your daughter and it's subject to change. Public school is tough. As much as I like ours, I see most resources being devoted to basic skills prep for the federal testing in Grade 2. Gotta get that No Child Left Behind money!!!
We don't have the new-fangled class system here. So far the testing is going good, but they're worried that her size - her PHYSICAL size - and the fact that she's a bit bossy, may keep her in kindergarten.. seriously.
Post a Comment