Friday, May 24, 2013

Speaking of ego..

Driven by a desire to know about my kids health from a DNA perspective, I had everyone in my house, and even some outside of my house, spit in a tube and sent it off to 23andme.com.  All of the results are in, and some of it kind of sucks, but most of it is just fine.

The problem is I'm sitting here picking apart random things about their DNA that may not make sense to me.  My two year old looks a lot more like me than my ten year old, and apparently, just IS a lot more like me than his sister.  While his 'IQ' DNA looks about right, or on par with what his sister got and his older brother (but not in the same IQ category), he also got some not so great things from my DNA, that I wish would die in a fire and never surface ever.


So it's also kind of like the blame game.  My two year old is more prone to high blood pressure, so the first thing I do is blame his dad, because that matches what his dads DNA says too; and so on.. and so on etc.


It's not like I imagined I had some sort of control about what genes my kids got, but the ones I biologically contributed to, are beautiful and smart just as the one I did not biologically contribute to is beautiful and smart.  It's weird though that I want to blame myself, or my husband, for things that I did not want passed onto my kids.

It is all rather subjective actually, when I think about these percentages, and what do they really mean?  Chances for having this one disease, is 1.24x more than the average person.. honestly, that's not really all that much now is it?  Even though they may not have genes for cancer, if they smoke, they're probably going to get lung cancer etc.  So why take this on?  Oh, well didn't I tell you?  I'm totally supposed to be controlling this shit and why the fuck did I NOT make sure certain things were sorted out in the gene pool!?  (roll film of self berating miserable gnashing of teeth etc)

Ah, ego, you're such a bitch.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a conspiracy theorist website out there that came tot he conclusion that my company is into Eugenics. If we really were, you could come here and we'd totally re-sequence your kids for you.

Anonymous said...

Assuming that the fictional world in my head was real of course.

24crayons said...

Re-sequencing myself would be awesome lol.